Skip to content

Passpack Auto-login: No Plugin Needed

The Passpack It! button will automatically log you into a website listed in your Passpack account.

Text updated on Aug. 1, 2007. The video needs to be updated, but it’s still indicative.

Watch The Passpack Smart Button Demo

(best viewed at full screen)

Unlike browser specific plugins, the Passpack It! Button will work regardless of what browser you are using. In essence, it’s a hyped-up Bookmarklet. (more info here)

The button does two things

1. If it recognizes the site you want to log into, it will log you in.
  2. If it does not recognize the site, it will ask you to teach it how to login to that website.

Getting Auto-login Set Up

You must be have a Passpack account to use this tool. Here’s how to install it, and here’s how to use it.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

20 Comments

1. David
    Posted Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:24 am | Permalink

This would be a great addition to the passpack website but how is the security for this bookmarklet?

Is the smart button user specific? If it is how does it store the login and passkey information? If it isn’t how does the button know which user you are and how does it get the data?

How will the data be transported from the passpack site to the login fields?

This were the first things i thought of when i read the post and saw the demo.

2. Delta Pi
    Posted Mar. 23, 2007 at 7:48 am | Permalink

from what I understand it acts simply as an automated copy and paste from the passpack account window to the account page login fields.

so it works only if you have opened the passpack account window.

it saves you to scramble the passeword, to copy it, to paste it, to do mistakes, to leave login information around the clipboard and so on…

3. Posted Mar. 23, 2007 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

@David
    Excellent questions – I was waiting for them to start pouring in. :)

The answers are a little long so I moved them to a post of their own here: http://blog.passpack.com/2007/03/23/how-passpack-auto-login-works-qa/

4. Posted Mar. 23, 2007 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

@Delta Pi
    Yes, it only works if you have your Passpack account open.

5. Posted Apr. 6, 2007 at 9:43 am | Permalink

I will adopt it right now ! Is it just possible to set the time for the account lock on Passpack (like on Keepass) ?

6. Posted Apr. 6, 2007 at 9:56 am | Permalink

@Loopion
    Yes, you can. You can also choose whether or not Passpack automatically saves your changes upon lockup (I’ve got my account set up this way, it’s very useful).

From inside your account, click on the Account Settings tab, then click the Options button.

Glad to hear you’ll be giving us a try!
    Let me know if you have any suggestions.

7. Posted Apr. 6, 2007 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Ouuuups Sorry.

Suggestion : French translation. :) I can help.

8. Posted Apr. 6, 2007 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

@Loopoin
    :) Nothing to be sorry about. We need to get a help section in place (working on it). So feel free to ask questions, and I’ll keep answering them.

French translation: I’d love to translate the system, only problem being, then people would email us in French… and we’d be at a total loss. Nonetheless, as soon as we can get the resources in place to handle multi-language support, then we will also translate Passpack. Sorry.

9. john
    Posted Apr. 25, 2007 at 7:21 am | Permalink

how long before the AutoLogin gets released? i recently switched to Linux from Windows and the only thing missing for me is RoboForm. with PassPAck most of what i needed can be done BUT not without a AutoLogin feature, it’s just not convenint without it.

Also, if for example, i surf to gmail.com and have already added my gmail login details to Passpack, would it detect and offer to Fill in the password?

thanx

10. Posted Apr. 26, 2007 at 11:49 am | Permalink

@John,
    The auto login is technology is complete, we’re working on the interface elements – so it’s getting closer.

On how it works, you would click the Go There button from within your Gmail entry, then once the page loaded, you’d press the Passpack Smart Button and you’ll be logged in.

You may come across websites that are not yet recognized, in which case Passpack will ask you to “teach” it where to find the login form in the website – it’s a fast and simple point-and-click process. Once you’re done teaching, you can press the Smart Button and it’ll log you in. You only need to teach it once, then it’s available from then on in. Gmail, for example, has already been recognized.

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if you need more info,
    Tara

11. Vincenzo
    Posted Jun. 1, 2007 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Hi all!! You’re doing a great work!!
    Any news about timing for auto-login???

br
    Vincenzo

12. Posted Jun. 1, 2007 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Vincenzo,
    Thanks! The auto-login will be included in the next release – that will happen during the month of June.

Ciao!
    Tara

13. Posted Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

This is an interesting application. I use roboform for all my current password storage. It is commercial software so there is a license fee. It has been a great tool for me. If the passpack plugin comes online and does the same thing as roboform, I might be a convert. With some serious testing of course (haha).

Charles McKeever

14. Posted Jun. 15, 2007 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Hello Charles,
    Glad to hear it. Our auto-login works a bit differently than Roboform’s, but yes, it’s free. It’ll be online by the end of the month, so you’re free to open an account to try it out. There’s a getting started guide here:

Cheers,
    Tara

15. Posted Jun. 17, 2007 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks for a great tool! Seems to be working nicely.

16. Jake
    Posted Jun. 27, 2007 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Hi,
    is the auto-login already finished?

17. Posted Jun. 27, 2007 at 9:44 am | Permalink

@Jake
    No, sorry, it’s not yet available.

It will be released together with the Beta 5 release, which was slotted for the end of June and it looks like we’re going to have to postpone that date – I was just about to blog about it, but you beat me to it :)

18. Jake
    Posted Jun. 27, 2007 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Ok, thanks for the very quick answer. :)

19. Posted Jun. 27, 2007 at 9:51 am | Permalink

You’re quite welcome – you happened to catch me in blog-mode. :)

20. Posted May. 25, 2008 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

somas,hindemith sheet music download flute somata,what are somas,somas population,drug testing somas

One Trackback

1. Automatically log in to Websites at Not So Relevant
    « [...] this feature will be available soon. Read more on the Passpack blog. manager, online, passpack, password, securityShare [...] »
Internet Security Blog Directory